Potato cakes are the tastiest manner to repurpose leftover mashed potatoes! They’re notably addictive, incredibly flexible, and insanely easy to make.
Crispy the out of doors and smooth and creamy the indoors with a candy-savory taste profile, they’re the last consolation meals!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe:
- Uses leftovers for your refrigerator.
- Completely customizable.
- Ready in below half-hour.
- Family Friendly.
- Great for breakfast, lunch, or as a side dish.
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup vegetable oil, or as needed
Mix mashed potatoes, flour, onion, egg, black pepper, and salt in a bowl until nicely mixed, similar to a batter consistency.
Heat vegetable oil in a skillet over medium-warm temperatures. Drop 4-inch rounds of batter into new oil. Cook till golden brown, about four to five minutes, in keeping with an aspect; drain on paper towels. Repeat with any final batter.
What mashed are exceptional for potato cakes?
Not all mashed potatoes are created identically. Some of them are “more fluent” than others. Some have butter, milk, and salt introduced. But the extremely good issue approximately our recipe is that it’s far adaptable to all forms of mashed potatoes. Even hold offered!
Simply alter the quantity of flour, adding extra flour if your mashed potatoes are runnier and much less if the mashed potatoes are thicker. The flour is what holds the pancakes collectively.
Tips for making potato pancakes
- Use cold, refrigerated mashed potatoes. They’re thicker and denser due to this, simpler to address than heat or heat mash.
- Instead of a knife, use a cheese grater to mince the onion. This will release greater in their sweet juices and offer the potato cakes a stronger punch of flavor.
- If your mashed potatoes have already been pre-pro, you likely obtained need an entire lot of salt. Add the remaining seasonings and flavor the batter – adjust consequently.
- Use an impartial-tasting oil with a high smoke thing. Vegetables, canola, and coconut oil are all brilliant for frying.
- Instead of a skillet, you may additionally prepare dinner for those desserts with the use of an electric-powered griddle or waffle iron. I love the waffle iron method because it gives you lovable crispy pockets.
- Drain greater oil through the use of laying the potato cakes on a plate covered with paper towels. This will maintain the desserts extraordinary and crispy at the same time as seeking out others to cook dinner.
Can mashed potato cakes be frozen?
I anticipate so, sure. Fry them, then lay them in an unmarried layer on a cookie sheet. Freeze, then transfer to a zipper-lock bag for freezing. To reheat, bake them from frozen on a cookie sheet or in a toaster oven. They may not crisp up like they were at the start, but they’ll taste top-notch.
What can I serve with mashed potato cakes?
I love southern classics like macaroni and cheese (we’re gluttons for carbs inside the south) or alongside a rack of the crispy child once more ribs. As a rule of thumb, it’s an excellent concept to pair starch-like potatoes with something green (beans, salad, brussels sprouts, etc.) and a number one protein.